Thursday 2 July 2009

Hi all,

Firstly, an update on WEZIMBABWE's most recent project. They have now officially become partners in the Kuyamura Trust, who are currently working to build and operate Tichakunda Pre-School in Hatcliffe on the outskirts of Harare, Zimbabwe. Kuyamura Trust means 'To Help' in the Shona Language.

Please visit their website now and have a look at the horrific conditions that these children are expected to learn in. It is totally heartbreaking reading what they have to put up with, they have no choice, there is no other option. The option WE have, is to help improve the facilities they have available to them. Having two boys myself, whose education needs are incredibly well catered for in this country, I have cried and cried looking at the photo's of these little African children, singing their nursery rhymes in the scorching hot sun, it breaks my heart. WeZimbabwe are now DIRECTLY helping to improve these childrens chances of a healthier, happier eduction. The first thing they will be doing is the sinking of a borehole to provide clean water. As I mentioned, please visit their website: http://www.tichakunda.com/ or you can follow the link directly from http://www.wezimbabwe.org/

My son's school was shut down immediately when there was a burst water pipe (which meant there would be no running water for a few hours). At Tichakunda Pre-School they have NO running water, ever, just a deep un-protected well which is meant to cater for the whole school - all their cooking needs, drinking, cleaning etc. They have three toilets, to cater for 700 pupils and all the staff. These children's classrooms are wooden shacks, which have holes in the rooves, they have no floors, just dust & stones covered with plastic sheeting. If the children are lucky, they get ONE meal a day of porridge. We all know too well how a well fed mind performs better, how are these children meant to have a chance? This is an example of ONE of the schools in Zimbabwe. There are so many underprivaledged children that we can help. Please, if you have children of your own, put yourself in these pictures and imagine your child in this school. We can help to improve these conditions, at least give them running water to start with. Every single pound helps.

http://www.justgiving.com/jacquismithschannelswim/

Thank you.


On a slightly lighter note...... I would like to thank everyone that HAS helped so far.


And HOW:

......the fundraising event held at The Shoulder of Mutton, Chapel-en-le-Frith, this past weekend was a tremendous success. Thank you so very very much to all my close family who helped so much during the run up to the day - mainly with the ticket sales and organising of the X Factor competition! I appreciate your help so much, I have a lot on my mind with the swim only being four weeks away and you managed to alleviate any stress which may have come from organising this event. It was a great day, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. The X-Factor competition went down a treat! As you will see from the picture, I was very honoured to have Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole & Louis Walsh turn up to judge the competition. Well done to the winner, Trudy, who won (better than any record deal and £100,000) - a meal for two at Coco's Restaurant and a bottle of Baileys!!!



So, an update on what we managed to raise through the raffle, x factor competition,BBQ, killer pool, bouncy castle & various other little games! - a WOPPING £2007.77. I am so very very pleased with this amount, I never expected to riase so much and I am so grateful for everyone's contributions. In total, along with contributions online through my justgiving website, to date, you have helped me raise £3565.77 for WEZIMBABWE. Since the event took place I have had a chance to sit down and page through the raffle tickets and I can't believe how many people bought tickets, and how many tickets they actually bought! I really am so grateful. Thank you very very much. I am only sorry that everyone couldn't win something, but I hope that those who did are pleased with what they won!

Nearly there now with just under four weeks to go until my 'slot' starts. I am off to Windermere this weekend where I hope to complete at least a 6hr swim. Mark, Danielle & Jason will be on the boat 'feeding' me with my new state of the art 'feeding stick', whilst trying to figure out the best way to encourage me to keep going, and of course driving the boat away from any hazards. I will be sure to post an update after the swim, along with some photo's as I'm sure Danielle will be happy snapping after a few hours of boredom!

Once again, thank you VERY much for everyones generosity. Every penny helps improve the facilities available to the little children in Zimbabwe, like those at the Tichakunda Pre-School.

All the best,

Jacqui


No comments: